Nauru designated for regional processing
Monday, 10 September 2012
The Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Chris Bowen MP, has this morning signed the legislative instrument designating the Republic of Nauru as a regional processing country under the Migration Act.
'I will today table the designation documents in Parliament. Subject to both houses passing a resolution approving the designation, the designation will allow for the transfer of irregular maritime arrivals who arrived after 13 August to Nauru,' Mr Bowen said.
'These documents outline the terms of agreement with the Nauruan Government and the fact I have now designated Nauru as a regional processing country.'
The Minister has determined that it is in the national interest to begin transferring people to Nauru as set out in the Statement of Reasons, including:
- Nauru has given Australia the assurances around the principle of non-refoulement and the assessment of asylum claims in line with the Refugee Convention
- Designating Nauru as a regional processing country will discourage irregular and dangerous maritime voyages and thereby reduce the risk of the loss of life at sea
- The designation promotes the maintenance of a fair and orderly Refugee and Humanitarian Program that retains the confidence of the Australian people
- Designating Nauru as a regional processing country promotes regional cooperation on irregular migration and people smuggling and its undesirable consequences; and
- Arrangements already in place in Nauru and those that are proposed to be put in place in Nauru are satisfactory.
The Memorandum of Understanding with the Nauruan Government was signed on 29 August. Construction work on the temporary facility is nearing completion and the government expects to be able to begin transferring people to Nauru later this week.
Mr Bowen said the government was committed to implementing the recommendations of the Expert Panel on Asylum Seekers.
'The designation I have tabled today is the next step in implementing the Expert Panel's recommendations,' he said.
Further announcements about processing arrangements in Nauru will be made in due course.
The Nauru Designation and Statement of Reasons are attached.
See: Instrument of designation of the Republic of Nauru as a regional processing country
Last update: Monday, 10 September 2012 at 12:59 AEST