Northam capacity to be reduced
Monday, 09 May 2011
The capacity of the Northam Immigration Detention Centre will be reduced, the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Chris Bowen MP, said today.
Mr Bowen said work had started at the Northam site, but the capacity would now come down to 600 single adult males from the 1500 originally announced in October last year.
'Australia’s engagement with our regional partners, including the proposed transfer agreement with Malaysia, means that it is prudent to review the expansion in onshore detention capacity,' Mr Bowen said.
'That means the Northam project can be reconfigured to a reduced capacity. All other mainland detention accommodation plans will go ahead as planned.
'Despite the reduced capacity, Northam will be a secure facility with perimeter and internal fencing, electronic security measures and security staff, as well as appropriate arrangements in place with WA Police and other emergency services.'
There will be little or no impact on local jobs at the facility as a result of the reduced capacity.
Mr Bowen said the government was delivering regional solutions under a Regional Cooperation Framework to respond to what is an international problem.
'This Malaysia agreement shows that this government is determined to break the people smugglers' business model and the human trafficking they rely on,' he said.
Last update: Monday, 09 May 2011 at 17:55 AEST